Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The 2008 Corvette First Drive

Of course, everybody seems to want the latest version of GM’s Corvette. Some lucky folks have been given the chance to "first drive" the new car and of course, they all had something to say about the experience.

Ask.cars.com’s Joe Bruzek was quoted as saying, “More than anything else on the 2008 Corvette, I enjoyed the new two-mode exhaust that opens up during heavy throttle to let the 430-hp V-8 exhale with a gnarly, loud, addictive sound. The 'Vette is easy to drive fast on the track, but still has a few interior quirks that put me off — like those goofy buttons that release the doors instead of actual door handles.”

Meanwhile David Thomas, Kicking Tires editor said, “I took this out onto the track and could certainly feel the added power and exhaust upgrade over the 2007. At least I think I could. As always, the Corvette is a joy on the track and still livable as an everyday car. The convertible even has room for a real set of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down. However, as everyone will most likely mention, the interior is a bit of a dog. I cannot wait until the next generation comes along. If they kept everything else identical to this car but threw in an interior like the one in the new CTS, I’d be very, very happy. Oh, and I like the push-button door handles.”

And here's what Ian Merritt, the staff photographer, said, “To an untrained car reviewer like myself, the 2008 Chevy Corvette sounds a lot like I would expect it to sound: a freight train mashed up with a 747 jet engine. It drives even better. Joyriding in such a powerful vehicle on a closed track is like winning a cake-eating contest or parasailing: it only lasted about 90 seconds, I almost threw up and it made me want to buy one (although I guess you can’t purchase a cake-eating contest). And I never even got it out of third gear.”